Buying the X-T4 - but which kit lens

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Marcos Villaroman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,337
Re: Buying the X-T4 - but which kit lens

ne beginner wrote:

JayPhizzt wrote:

Jimmmy wrote:

My experience with the 16-80 has not been wonderful. I ordered an X-T3 with the 16-80 kit, love the body, and have got some great results, but not with the 16-80. Did way better with my 16mm f/1.4 prime, the 23mm f/2 prime, and my trusty 18-55mm "kit" lens. So I'm returning the X-T3 kit with the 16-80 lens and looking for an X-T3 or X-T4 body. Was not satisfied with detail, color, contrast, and dynamic range of the 16-80 lens. Noticed it is made in the Philippines, not Japan -- not sure whether that is a factor or concern, or I just did not get a wonderful specimen. YMMV.

I can understand you weren't satisfied by the detail, color or contrast, but dynamic range actually lies in the sensor and not the lens

And when a Fuji camera or lens is "made in the philippines" or "made in china" it simply means it was assembled there, it was still designed and developed in Japan.

Seems like many Japanese manufacturers are making their lower to mid range lenses outside Japan, while still making their premium grade lenses in Japan. Fuji 16-55 made in Japan; 16-80 Thailand.

Actually it looks like Fujifilm is manufacturing its high volume products outside of Japan, regardless of being high or low end.  My friend living in Japan got his X-T4 from BIC Camera:  it was made in China, not Japan.

The lesser volume product (which tends to be the more expensive stuff) or so new the manufacturing process is still maturing tends to be made in Japan, such as the 100-400, X-H1, etc.

I think it comes down to how much attention Fujifilm puts to making sure the quality coming out of their overseas factories remain high.  Granted, we are also looking at products designed to be cheaper to manufacture.  So I think the days of finding that one "perfect" copy within a lower-end product line is going to become rarer.  Not every lens is designed to perform optically perfect at the pixel-peeping level.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +62 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow