Hiking camera gear choices.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
tcdc12321 Regular Member • Posts: 151
Re: Good solution

eques wrote:

Seeing that my GX8 + 12-100 is similar in size and weight to the Z6/7 + 24-200 and both lenses are quite good, I think you made a good choice.

What could really convince me to change to Nikon Z are pancake 28 and 40mm lenses, which however have disappeared from the roadmap.

Peter

Except we don't know how well the Nikon 24-200 performs yet. The lens hasn't been released to the general public, and there are no reviews so far, at least to my knowledge. One forum member has the lens and likes it a lot, but that's not a lot of information. A couple early reports of the Fuji 16-80 lens were very positive, but once the lens was released it turned out that it was of much lower quality than expected. The point is just that it's often valuable to wait for real reviews to come out.

Now, that said, I'm personally very intrigued by the Nikon 24-200, and am considering whether or not I want to get an E-M1 II and 12-100 or a Z6 and 24-200. We know that the 12-100 is a fantastic lens, but we don't have reviews yet of the 24-200.

What's interesting about the 24-200 is that equivalence-wise, it's 2 stops faster at the wide end and 2/3 of a stop faster at the long end, plus it has a control ring that can be used to control aperture/focus/ISO, which is pretty neat. The big questions are:

1) How sharp is it? Will it perform as well as the 12-100?

2) How effective will the stabilization be of the Z6 or Z7 with the 24-200? It gets 5 stops of CIPA rated stabilization, but CIPA standards for stabilization don't mean a whole lot. If in practice it gets 4 stops, that's pretty good, but it's still not as effective as an E-M1 II or III with the 12-100. Olympus's secret sauce is the stabilization, which helps compensate for the 12-100 being a very slow lens in comparison to FF.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow