Buying the X-T4 - but which kit lens

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ne beginner Senior Member • Posts: 2,249
Re: Buying the X-T4 - but which kit lens

JayPhizzt wrote:

Jimmmy wrote:

My experience with the 16-80 has not been wonderful. I ordered an X-T3 with the 16-80 kit, love the body, and have got some great results, but not with the 16-80. Did way better with my 16mm f/1.4 prime, the 23mm f/2 prime, and my trusty 18-55mm "kit" lens. So I'm returning the X-T3 kit with the 16-80 lens and looking for an X-T3 or X-T4 body. Was not satisfied with detail, color, contrast, and dynamic range of the 16-80 lens. Noticed it is made in the Philippines, not Japan -- not sure whether that is a factor or concern, or I just did not get a wonderful specimen. YMMV.

I can understand you weren't satisfied by the detail, color or contrast, but dynamic range actually lies in the sensor and not the lens

And when a Fuji camera or lens is "made in the philippines" or "made in china" it simply means it was assembled there, it was still designed and developed in Japan.

Seems like many Japanese manufacturers are making their lower to mid range lenses outside Japan, while still making their premium grade lenses in Japan. Fuji 16-55 made in Japan; 16-80 Thailand.

When it comes to camera bodies, looks to be the same. Nikon new D6 made in Japan; D850: Thailand.

Made in Japan still has more cache in some categories, and many people conjure up in their minds the notion that "made in" means parts and finished product.  Given the nature of global sourcing, multi-national corporations, and trade agreements, today, "made in" often more aptly means means assembled.

I.e. a "made in Japan" vs "made in China" camera body is likely to be assembled using the exact same parts, that were themselves produced in the exact same country and parts factory.

As long as the assembly process, protocol, machinery, and QA standards are identical, the end product should be as well.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow