OP lélé Contributing Member • Posts: 595
Re: Role of sensor in color rendering?

Iliah Borg wrote:

lélé wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

lélé wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

lélé wrote:

From a practical perspective, I'm struggling to create color profiles with 'pleasant skin tones' for my Sony a7R IV and my former Sony a7 III.

I have also downloaded samples taken with Canon cameras. I have created a color profile from the Canon EOS R DPReview studio scene and Lumariver. I know that their CC24 is (at least) from 2013, so it may have faded. I also don't know the exact illuminant they use. But the idea behind was to create a 'neutral' profile, with no subjective adjustment except the tone curve.
I carrefully inspected the Canon EOS R samples using the created profile and did not notice the issues with skin tones.

Have you done the same for your Sony a7R IV and Sony a7 III ?

Could you please answer this one?

I answered you here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63969539

I was referring to your "I have also downloaded samples taken with Canon cameras. I have created a color profile from the Canon EOS R DPReview studio scene and Lumariver", sorry if I'm misunderstanding your reply.

Oh, sorry, I did not get you!

Yes, I made a profile from DPReview studio scene CC24 for the a7R IV. I assumed it was a 'pre 2014' CC24 since the studio scene was presented by DPreview end of 2013...
The color I got with the a7R IV profile generated from DPR CC24 vs. my CCSG were slightly different with matrix only profiles, but differences were subtle. The differences are more pronouced with a LUT, to the advantage of the profile generated from my CCSG shot, which deals better (but not great) with the issue I'm having with skin tones.

I did not try for the a7 III...

Yes, but a7 III ColorChecker Passport only, while a7R IV ColorChecker Digital SG. Also I tried more illuminant for the a7R IV: direct sunlight, cloudy day, halogen...

a7III profile from CCP => no help

a7R IV profile from CCSG => does help, but does not solve the issue, plus I have to play with 'min. chromacity distance' and 'worst compression' settings (allowing more bends in the LUT if I understand correctly) to get a real improvement.

If the results are not to your liking, have you asked Lumariver technical support to help?

Yes, but as for the Sony a7 III since I sold it recently I only have color Passport Photo target shots to work with. Not enough skin tones patches to do anything good...

I'll try to email Anders Torger (developper of Lumariver); he was very helpful on other topics. But I don't thinks Lumariver is what causes the problem.

The problem may be in how the shots were taken. It always pays to send the raw files and ask.

I will follow your suggestion. Thanks!

lélé's gear list:lélé's gear list
Nikon D300 Sony a7R IV Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow