Role of sensor in color rendering?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP lélé Contributing Member • Posts: 595
Re: Role of sensor in color rendering?

Iliah Borg wrote:

lélé wrote:

From a practical perspective, I'm struggling to create color profiles with 'pleasant skin tones' for my Sony a7R IV and my former Sony a7 III.

I have also downloaded samples taken with Canon cameras. I have created a color profile from the Canon EOS R DPReview studio scene and Lumariver. I know that their CC24 is (at least) from 2013, so it may have faded. I also don't know the exact illuminant they use. But the idea behind was to create a 'neutral' profile, with no subjective adjustment except the tone curve.
I carrefully inspected the Canon EOS R samples using the created profile and did not notice the issues with skin tones.

Have you done the same for your Sony a7R IV and Sony a7 III ?

If the results are not to your liking, have you asked Lumariver technical support to help?

PS: I understand that 'preferred colors' is an extremely subjective thing. That getting these 'preferred colors' might require tons of subjectives adjustments. That there are tons of unknowns in the samples I checked, as well as in my own photos (illuminant, light scattered/reflect by surrounding objects, etc.). That my CCSG color target is not perfect. That my technique to shot it is not perfect. That the illuminant is not the exact same one. Etc.
But what is puzzling me is that in a most photos with caucasian skin tones I notice something that is unpleasing me. Namely a shift towards green of caucasian skin tones when view from an angle/in the shadow. And on the CCSG target shot I have F2 and D8 patches leaning towards magenta, and some darker ones leaning towards the opposite direction (especially I8). I don't know to which extent this is normal (might be caused by a lot of different things), but it seems consistent with my subjective observations.

lélé's gear list:lélé's gear list
Nikon D300 Sony a7R IV Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow