Role of sensor in color rendering?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 27,450
Re: Role of sensor in color rendering?

lélé wrote:

Disclaimer:

• I'm a hobbyist, with limited technical background on that particular topic...but eager to learn!:)
  • I'm not a native English speaker, so my wording may be inacurate not only because of my lack of technical knowledge, but also language/translation issues.
  • That said, I think I roughly understand the overall idea and differences behind 'colorimetry', 'color appearance' and 'pleasant colors'.
  • I don't want to (re)start any brand war!

=============

Hello!

I was playing around with Lumariver Profile Designer, an X-Rite ColorChecker SG color target an my Sony a7R IV. I was very surprised to see the color differences in skin tones I got with 'matrix only' profile. Those were backing up impressions I got, like hue shifting to more 'greenish' when in the shadows.

I also played around with other cameras files, in particular Canon ones, and this issue was less noticeable.

I was wondering how the camera sensor, in particular the CFA design, could impact that.

Mays you have more info' ?

Yellow skin + bluish light to shadows -> greenish reflection. That's what will be a result from a matrix optimized for some colour reproduction accuracy. One can slightly reduce the effect by CFA design, but not without trade-offs.

Matrix transforms are usually not all what you want to use in raw conversion, because of this and other similar problems.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow