help choosing memory cards please?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kerriann85
kerriann85 New Member • Posts: 5
help choosing memory cards please?

Hopefully this is the correct forum for my question. I just ordered a new Nikon D850 to replace my D3 that finally died.  So now I get to totally switch from CF cards to something weird called XQD and SDXC!  Have tried to do some research but not figuring out my best option. I'd like to spend as little money as possible since I have little money coming in as a freelancer.

Besides some portraits, I mainly shoot live theatre events. Plays, Musicals, Dance.  On a few occasions I'll turn on the motor drive to capture a series of dance spins or leaps.

I can end up with 1000+ shots at the end of the night. I'm used to having the second card slot set to spill over (not backup) and rarely do I need it. Using a 32 gb card.

I know my file size is going to increase a ginormous amount.

So.....what cards do I need? Size? Which type should be my primary card? Could I get a "best" of one type and a "good enough" of the other type?

I did find a list of the best cards for the D850 but still so many choices.....

Thanks for any help I can get, first time posting. Might have more questions when the camera arrives. And will welcome any advice on learning the new body.

Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow