Long Lens vs Telescope for Astrophotography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Painter19 Contributing Member • Posts: 516
Long Lens vs Telescope for Astrophotography

I’ve recently gotten into shooting the Moon mainly and to a lesser extent Jupiter, Saturn, Venus and Mars from my Los Angeles apartment with a Sony RX10 IV.

The Sony is a fixed lens camera and Iā€™m wanting more magnification now, again mainly for photographing the Moon and its' surface.

I have been considering using a refractor telescope like the Sky-Watcher ED100 Pro  with a Panasonic GX8 Four Thirds camera.

Another direction might be to use a telephoto camera lens with the GX8 (2x crop factor). Given my budget I’d have to either go with the Sigma Contemporary 150-600mm zoom lens, or an older lens.

One older (1968?) lens, the Leica 560mm f5.6 Telyt -R has caught my eye. I realize it’s long, it’s an older design, doesn’t have all the corrections and lens coatings of the modern lenses, but I like the photos I’ve seen from it. There are mount adapters to allow it to be used with the GX8. Given the crop factor that would give me 1120mm effective focal length. I could add a 1.4x, or 2.0x teleconverter to boost that substantially.

i would welcome any thoughts or advice on the telescope vs long camera lens for  lunar surface photography general question , and any thoughts on the older  Leica 560 mm f5.6 Telyt-R lens in particular. Thanks.

Painter19's gear list:Painter19's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony RX10 IV
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow