Canon 5d Mark 2 and Canon 70d

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
SergioThor
SergioThor Regular Member • Posts: 109
Re: Canon 5d Mark 2 and Canon 70d

John Sheehy wrote:

Tannin wrote:

Now the good, and it's really good. The 5D II sensor was way out in advance of anything else made when it was introduced, simply the best camera sensor on the market, and it stands up well even today. Yes, sure, the 5D IV and the EOS R have better ones, so do models from the other makers, but the old 5D II sensor is much more like the modern sensor in (say) an EOS R than it is like the old-school sensors in things like the 5D I and the 20D. There was a big, sudden jump in sensor technology ten years or so ago, and the 5D II is on the right side of it. It offers lots of detail (plenty of pixels) even by today's standards, and excellent noise performance for its day - perfectly usable even now.

The 5D2 is notorious for horizontal banding noise at both high ISOs and in base-ISO shadows. I've actually seen the banding at ISO 100 in out-of-camera JPEGs, without any push. Banding can be apparent as low as ISO 6400 in poor light colors, like outdoor shade.

I don't know how anyone can recommend this camera as noise-competitive with modern sensors. Even modern Rebels will do a better job in the shadows at high and low ISOs. The 5D2 is mainly useful for someone who wants the optical possibilities of the FF sensor, but will be using low ISOs well-exposed, and medium ISOs, without the need for low noise.

ohh no, how was i able to use this camera, dont even know /sarcasm

5Dmk2 is great camera to shoot, its old, some things are outdated, but if you learn it limitations, you will get job done

-- hide signature --
 SergioThor's gear list:SergioThor's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R GoPro Hero8 Black Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow