JimKasson wrote:

57even wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

57even wrote:

Tri-stimulus colour spaces don't replicate human vision either

Please explain.

Are you talking about:

• Departures from color-normalcy?
  • Variations in color responses within the color-normal range?
  • Spatial effects?
  • Adaptation?
  • Non-physical primaries?

Or something else?

I am talking about the fact that a large range of colours we can see is not reproducable on any RGB or CMY based colour device, and on sRGB, about 64% of them.

So you are talking about the available devices, not tristimulus color spaces in general. XYZ is certainly a tristimulus space, and can encode all the colors that the standard observer can see. It does, however, have non-physical primaries.

I was under the impression that tristimulus implied three visible colours (CIE RGB) rather than unreproducable virtual colours that don't have a corresponding wavelength.

Good sensor colour science (closer to LI) is less import with smaller gamuts, but becomes more problematic with large ones, like the future Rec.2020 standard.

I wouldn't say that the color science of a LI sensor is in any global way better than that of the sensors that we have. The people who design those CFAs know how to get close to LI, but they choose not to because of the sensitivity and SNR issues of LI CFAs. Not sure I agree about the larger gamut making the situation worse, since the memory colors tend to lie within Adobe RGB.

While it's true that most OOG colours are cyan tones, red/blue response can have a fairly serious impact on colours along the line of purples.

Sure, it may not be a big deal, but AdobeRGB red (for example) is distinctly more orange than DCI-P3. Filter designs assuming AdobeRGB as an output space may not cut it in future.

-- hide signature --

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow