Oly 12-40 vs 12-100

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael J Davis
Michael J Davis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,625
Re: Oly 12-40 vs 12-100

gary0319 wrote:

Michael J Davis wrote:

gary0319 wrote:

I had both and eventually sold the 12-40 since I found myself usually shooting the 12-40 at f/4 anyway and I would use my 25 f/1.8 or my 8mm f1.8 for most lowlight situations. I find the 12-100 can even stand in for my 40-159 f/2.8 if need be for action sports and still woks great for close ups.
This lens has such good resolution, that it can be cropped quite close with any of the 20mpx Olympus bodies..

A few sample with the E-M1 II.....

12-100 @ 100mm, E-M1 II

Crop from above image..

Great shots! But this looks a little over-sharpened. Was it processed from RAW?

If auto-focussed that's really impressive at f/4!

Oh dear, I'm being tempted...

Yes, processed from raw using Olympus Workspace (or perhaps OV3, given the time frame). Not sure about any sharpening, as the crop was not processed beyond what was in the original. Any PP would have been in Lightroom.

Thanks Gary!

My Lightroom has a default of 25% (whatever that means!) sharpening. For critical subjects (such as nature shots), I reduce this to around 12% and use Focus Magic which - carefully managed - avoids the 'sharpening lines at pixel level. Nonetheless, I repeat, that's excellent focus and clarity in a difficult shot and does credit to your skills as well as the lens.

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 60 years
www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow