Role of sensor in color rendering?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 14,505
Re: Role of sensor in color rendering?

lélé wrote:

Disclaimer:

• I'm a hobbyist, with limited technical background on that particular topic...but eager to learn!:)
  • I'm not a native English speaker, so my wording may be inacurate not only because of my lack of technical knowledge, but also language/translation issues.
  • That said, I think I roughly understand the overall idea and differences behind 'colorimetry', 'color appearance' and 'pleasant colors'.
  • I don't want to (re)start any brand war!

=============

Hello!

I was playing around with Lumariver Profile Designer, an X-Rite ColorChecker SG color target an my Sony a7R IV. I was very surprised to see the color differences in skin tones I got with 'matrix only' profile. Those were backing up impressions I got, like hue shifting to more 'greenish' when in the shadows.

I also played around with other cameras files, in particular Canon ones, and this issue was less noticeable.

I was wondering how the camera sensor, in particular the CFA design, could impact that.

Mays you have more info' ?

Like Eric said, the camera raw profile is more important, but a poor CFA design may force you to use different profiles for landscape and portrait (for example).

A really good CFA design would have good enough hue accuracy everywhere in the standard profile so that you could simply use colour balance adjustments in the edit to compensate for white-balance issues.

-- hide signature --

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow