First Trip with G5X II

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MaartenSFS Contributing Member • Posts: 816
First Trip with G5X II

I went on a short trip to Traverse City in Michigan about two and a half months ago, where I sold my DSLR and tested my new G5X II. Since I couldn't open up the Raw files in Photoshop CS6 it has taken me some time to figure out a new work flow.

This week I finally found some time to learn how to use Canon's Digital Photo Professional and edit the photos. I am impressed with the results that I'm getting out of DPP and it has shortened my post processing time considerably. The main reason is because, unlike with Adobe Camera Raw, I start out with essentially a Canon JPEG without the added sharpness and noise reduction, etc. This saves me a lot of time that I used to spend on adjusted the colours. There was a slight learning curve, but it was well worth it to start over with a new programme. Plus, it was free with no subscription required. After I edit the Raws in DPP I do some focused editing (such as over or underexposed areas) in Photoshop, if necessary.

Now on to the camera. I had tested out the camera for a week prior to my trip, but up in the frozen north I really got the chance to put it through its paces. As soon as I downloaded the below images into my laptop and had a gander I made my decision to sell the DSLR. The image quality is on par with my seven year old Canon 700D (detail and noise levels) and in some cases surpasses it. The camera also feels quite nice in the hand. The apature dial that everyone complains about is really not all that bad...

Some times I miss being able to use a telephoto lense and eventually I will have to buy another camera for shooting wildlife, but this camera can take photos in pretty much every other situation and fits into my pocket! The electronic viewfinder is also infinitely more useful than an optical viewfinder, eliminating the guesswork so that I can get the shot the first time and move on. The battery went flat quite quickly when I was on the trip, so I was only able to take several photos, but now in the warm weather it is lasting much longer, though I still recommend having a spare or two.

I am so glad that I sold my DSLR kit whilst I was still able to get some money for it. It served me well, but having this amount of power in my pocket, where I can easily access it is too big of an advantage to cling to old technology. The built in ND filtre also saves me a lot of time, as I used a polarising filtre for nearly every photo that I took using my DSLR. Anyways, I feel like the images below speak for themselves. The only time to go beyond f/5.6 is when shooting at close focal distances, which this camera handles very well. I hope that you enjoy the photos.

Should have used f/5.6 for this one...

Also shouldn't have used ISO 400 and used f/4.0 for this one...

To compare with photos taken using my DSLR, mostly shot in China, where I lived for eleven years until two years ago, see my Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/maartensfs/albums

-- hide signature --

- Cheers, Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker

MaartenSFS's gear list:MaartenSFS's gear list
Canon G5 X II
Canon EOS 700D (EOS Rebel T5i / EOS Kiss X7i) Canon PowerShot G5 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow