Easy-to-use APS-C travel and family camera at ~$500 to $1000 (Fuji X-A7?)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
effer Regular Member • Posts: 141
Re: Easy-to-use APS-C travel and family camera at ~$500 to $1000 (Fuji X-A7?)

ken_in_nh wrote:

effer wrote:

This really depends on the upgrade path. In some ways I would be more happy with lens selection for Canon. Canon M has the same excellent Sigma trio. Canon has a lot less expensive UWA option (11-22mm) and better, less expensive street lens (22mm). For longer reach one can always use an adapter and existing EF glass with native performance. If Canon would offer a body with AF comparable to A6100, I would recommend it to all the beginners.

You should read the reviews for the M6 mkii.

I have researched M6 mkii a bit actually. I would not call it a budget APS-C body.

Autofocus is every bit as good as Sony, probably better.

That's not correct. If you just use AF-S or even AF-C, then sure AF is fast and comparable across many systems in last several years. If you go a bit further and compare eye and face AF, then Canon is OK, but not that great. Fuji is close to Sony, but still Sony usually has an edge. Go even further and compare AF tracking, and you find that Canon is behind and even Fuji still not at Sony's level even with their latest X-T4 powerhouse.

Good selection of lenses if you include Sigma's primes.

Many people will find what they want for M-mount. Others will find it lacking. It is always better to think ahead about what lenses one wants right away and the ones for the future (even in couple of years).

It's also a great handling camera with an easy to use menu system and quick set menus. Note that no one complements Sony for its ease of settings.

Many reviewers bash Sony menu system and for a good reason. There are tons of options there and they are not always easy to find and not organized very logically. Some bash it because touchscreen cannot be used to navigate through the menu. I personally don't see any benefit in touchscreen navigation unless the system is better designed for use with small touchscreen.

On the other hand if you use Sony camera for a longer period of time, it is easy to set it up with custom buttons, FN-menu and My-menu, so you don't ever have to deal with the main menu system. Sony cameras are very customizable. If you take some time to set it up initially, it becomes very easy to use.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow