Buying the X-T4 - but which kit lens

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Marcos Villaroman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,335
Re: Bundled lens -no, just bought the body only.

Michael Berg wrote:

Hi Marcos,

Thanks for your detailed reply, I appreciate it. I still haven't quite made up my mind about this.

- My GAS is solutely screaming for the 16-55/2.8 for its optical quality paired with the X-T4 IBIS. I want it, badly.

The 16-55 is not for everyone.  It is big and heavy compared to other options.  I do believe the 18-55 is fine for most people's needs.   However, if you really want that f/2.8 constant, optical quality which is top-notch for zooms and gets closed enough to prime performance to be an acceptable trade-off vs. swapping primes, I think the 16-55 is worth it.

16-55 goes for $600 to $700 used.

- My arms and back are telling me to stop this silly nonsense and get the 18-55/2.8-4. My smallish photo backpack concurs. Also will I really bring this anvil of a lens along for a family trip? If I ask anyone to take a group photo of us, they won't be able to lift the camera. Oh dear.

The true test for carrying heavy gear is going on vacation where you are going to spend 6+ hours per day walking around for many days in a row.  It's day three or so, where my back and neck scream.  When that happens to me, I find myself carrying my heavy lens (Canon 70-200/2.8L II back then) attached to the camera body so I can cradle it along my arm like cradling a babe in order to reduce the weight around my neck and back.

Backpacks really help until they too give you problems.  It is a reason why I consider using my framed hiking backpack and putting my camera gear into it using soft-sided lens pouches or camera bag inserts (e.g., Tenba BYOB).

Where I am at now is on my last trip to Japan (14-days), my favorite daily carry was the 16-55 permanently attached to my X-H1, my 10-24 on my X-T30 (because I love shooting wide), with a 16/1.4 or 23/2 and a small flash (for bounce and fill flash) in my Peak Design 10L Sling.  That's my personal limit.  If I did it again, I would probably use the 16-80 instead of the 16-55.

Last thought:  with Fujifilm you should always consider having a lightweight set of lenses.  For me, that's usually the f/2 primes.  The 16-80 is an acceptable single heavy lens in a slightly heavier bag.

So if you are really worried about the 16-55 weight, do get either a 18-55 or 16-80.  Again I recommend buying a bundle with your new X-T4 for the hundreds of dollars in savings.  In this respect, I think the 18-55 used is very easy to find.  The 16-80, not so much.

- My brain is distracted by the 16-80 which is more versatile than the 18-55, and of probably mostly similar optical quality. That focus wobble though...

Focus wobble?

- My creativity is saying screw those lenses and think about all the nice M42 vintage stuff I have in my drawer already.

- My wallet is not saying much. I think it's dead.

Spend money.  Only way to be sure your wallet is truly dead. 

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +62 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow