Resolution in Photoshop for 717

Started Oct 18, 2003 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
maryann711 New Member • Posts: 5
Resolution in Photoshop for 717

This has been covered briefly, but I need more info. Here's my situation. I've been using the 707 and then 717 for two years and have always been thrilled with picture quality--most photos are taken at Fine at highest image size. (I fit 51 photos on a 128 Memory Stick) Now I am taking a Photoshop 7 class at a local college and have been told by my professor that my camera does not take pictures at a high enough resolution to use in our projects. She requires that photos be at least 200-300ppi. She objects to changing the res to 200 in Photoshop as the program will interpolate pixels in order to add more and that is not good for manipulating photos. My ppi is always shown as 72 when I check "Image/Image Size/Resolution." After spending hours on the phone with techs from Sony, Adobe and Apple (I run a 17" G4 Powerbook with OSX.2.8) the conclusion is that other cameras (such as Nikon) will record images at a higher res but my camera will not. I am totally confused--I thought this camera was supposed to take a really high resolution photo--72 is the quality of a newspaper image...I KNOW the 717 takes better photos than that. What am I missing here. In Photoshop I am going ahead on my projects and making document size 5.25x7 inches (this is what the final project dimensions are) and the resolution 200. Am I degrading my photo by making these changes (before I do my editing)? Why do other cameras that are at this level have resolution readings at 300 or more and mine are at 72? Obviously there is something I am not understanding...I was crushed when my instructor suggested I buy a better camera! Someone please help...I really need a thorough lesson on this topic. Are there photographers out there that are totally familiar with Photoshop AND the 717?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
LM1
ldh
ldh
ldh
ldh
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow