Sony 20mm F1.8 first experiences (compared to 16-35 GM)

Started 10 months ago | User reviews thread
mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,322
Re: Sony 20mm F1.8 first experiences (compared to 16-35 GM)

arneh wrote:

Since the first test against the 16-35GM showed such surprisingly big difference in color and contrast, I did another test now, with less challenging lighting (overcast, not the backlighting of the first test). And at least in this lighting the performance is much more similar.
I also realised I had a clear filter mounted on the 16-35 GM, which might have made the result worse. It made no difference in this second test, but might make a difference in backlit situations.
So here are some 200% comparisons in this second test

Wide open in center

Both closed down to F5.6 in center

Wide open at edge

Closed down to F5.6 at edge

This second result is much more as I would expect, with the 20mm just slightly sharper, but otherwise quite similar. 16-35 GM might struggle more in backlit situations, but it might also have been caused by the filter.

Thnxs for another set of images. In the first ones (especially the very first image), the 16-35 looks horrible. If mine would show images like this, then I would have thrown in in a bin. I already thought that something had to be "wrong" .

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow