Looking for a cheap camera with reliable AF to use as a webcam replacement

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
TheEngineer Regular Member • Posts: 386
Looking for a cheap camera with reliable AF to use as a webcam replacement

Hello,

I sometimes need to stream a video of a well-lit table with objects on it that I need to bring closer to the camera from time to time and need a relatively cheap camera for that.

I tried various webcams and found that the auto-focus was always really terrible. None of the logitech cameras I tried was usable since they always focus on the wrong part (background) even when there is a well-lit object taking up more than half of the screen. And since setting a fixed focus forces me to keep the objects at a set distance that is not really an option anyway.

I do have various m43 gear (e-m10 1/3, various very good lenses) but nothing that I could use as a webcam replacement. My Olympus cameras were not able to do what I want without additional hardware (capture card) and the focus for video is too slow and not usable for what I want to do anyway.

Is there a "relatively" cheap camera that I can use for what I want to do instead? Maybe a webcam with a reliable auto-focus, or a cheap camcorder/p&s/dslr/mirrorless that has a webcam option with which I could connect it to my pc?

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help.

TheEngineer's gear list:TheEngineer's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus E-510 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS 6D +14 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow