Are Fixed Resolution Sensors Better?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Batdude
Batdude Senior Member • Posts: 4,556
Are Fixed Resolution Sensors Better?

What do you guys know about this? Regardless if we are talking about APS-C, FF or whatever.

I was having a discussion in a different thread as to how it would be nice to have the (option) of choosing a smaller RAW size file size from a camera that has really high resolution.

Some of the answers I got were similar to this one: "the images are superb precisely because so much information is captured - when you produce a scaled down version, it is computed from more pixels than any previous 35mm sensor."

So I guess some people prefer a fixed MP sensor vs one where you can select a smaller RAW file size. Some of the responses were very technical and there was a lot of math mentioned which I personally never liked hahaha

Is this true/fact or is it a myth that the IQ pretty much is degraded (maybe up to a point?) because of so much "computational" stuff happening in order for you to select a smaller size RAW file? Basically what I understood is that RAW is really not RAW once that happens.

I would like to see what the experts and mathematicians here know about this

Thanks

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow