A continuation of a thought inadequately explored earlier.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
digitallollygag Senior Member • Posts: 1,222
Re: A continuation of a thought inadequately explored earlier.

Glen Barrington wrote:

It seems to me that you guys are responding with an old business model of photography in mind. I don't believe that a dedicated picture-taking device BETTER than the typical smartphone can't be designed, built, and marketed, at a price that is attractive to the consumer.

The old phrase, "Thinking Outside the Box" is irrelevant if you can't even imagine a world outside of that box.

My main point is that industry resources have given up trying to compete with Smartphones because they can't figure out what is better than a smartphone for photos.

We ALL know, deep down, inside the darkest recesses of our minds, that SOMETHING will eventually replace the Smartphone for photos. The desire for photographs seems to be increasing across ALL demographics while the sales of cameras are decreasing across all demographics.

The question is will the dedicated camera gear industry be around to see that?

Much of the issue lies in convenience, convenience beyond cloud-connectivity and portability within the “camera” you envision. The camera industry is its own worst enemy, many times with products that get in the way of making images (unless the camera is in “full auto” mode).

If the camera you envision comes with a basic paper manual with a link to download a 300-page PDF user manual, well, that’s a non-starter for 99% of the consumer masses. For such a camera to have any chance at sales success, it must be as intuitive as an iPhone.

digitallollygag's gear list:digitallollygag's gear list
Nikon Coolpix B500 Pentax K-x Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow