Easy-to-use APS-C travel and family camera at ~$500 to $1000 (Fuji X-A7?)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Cato1040
Cato1040 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,840
Re: Easy-to-use APS-C travel and family camera at ~$500 to $1000 (Fuji X-A7?)

effer wrote:

Fujis are lovely, but it is tough to beat Sony when it comes to getting the best bang for your buck for family use. Especially if you're in USA.

I would go for:

Sony A6100
Sony 18-135mm
Sigma 16mm F1.4

This would be a pretty good kit too that lets you go from 24mm to about 200mm.

A6100 was on sale for less than $500 with EDU discount or through greentoe. The sale is currently over, but I still suggest to try greentoe, and you should be able to pick it up for less than current advertised price of $600.

Sony 18-135mm unfortunately is not offered as a kit with A6100, but you can pick it up on ebay for about $350-$450.

You could also potentially try to bargain in certain camera shops to make a kit like that. Won't be as cheap as buying used though.

Sigma 16mm F1.4 was on sale 5 days ago for $320. It also sometimes goes for $340 bundled with some other stuff (like extra batteries, SD cards etc).

With a bit of patience you can put together this kit for about $1200.

It does cost more than the kit I presented and has a more limited reach, but could have enough reach and should offer better image quality potential.

Sony's AF tracking is still quite a bit better than Fuji's.
EVF is not very good, but you don't consider it important anyways.
One thing that would bug me a lot on A6100 is the lack of "Auto ISO min SS" setting. I believe A6100 doesn't have it. To me it is very important, but I don't know if it is to you.

This is pretty annoying and hopefully something they'll fix with a firmware update.

I would stay away from Sony 16-50mm + 55-210mm.
18-135mm is better choice in my opinion. It is fairly small, sharp and very versatile. Fuji counterpart costs more and not as good.

I mainly suggested the 16-50mm + 55-210mm combo because it actually fits in their budget and offers a lot of zoom. Also, for many beginners, the image quality from the lens may not be as big a factor. I know many people who use the 16-50mm kit lens and are happy with it and appreciate the size.

Sigma 16mm is awesome for indoors, low light, landscapes and environmental portraits. Again Fuji counterpart costs a lot more.

It can be frustrating for users that Fujifilm does not share its autofocusing system information with third-party manufacturers.

With A6100 + 18-135mm + 16mm 1.4 you can cover a lot.

Lastly, check out Canon mirrorless. It's been a while since I looked at their budget offerings, so don't know exactly what to recommend. Canon runs sales fairly often, and you can get a nice kit if you find body that suits your needs. They have Sigma lenses and some good budget Canon glass. AF tracking is not as good as Sony's.

They do offer good prices on beginner kits, but don't offer as as Sony or Fujifilm much if you decide to upgrade lenses later.

Cato1040's gear list:Cato1040's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Fujifilm X100T Panasonic LX10 Sony a6000 Sony a7 III +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow