Nikkor 50mm f1.8s vs. Nikon 58mm f1.4g on a Z6

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
SpacemanUA
SpacemanUA Senior Member • Posts: 1,683
Re: Nikkor 50mm f1.8s vs. Nikon 58mm f1.4g on a Z6

HeavyDuty wrote:

Some people appreciate “character” lenses, and some don’t. The ones that don’t tend to try to quantify why character lenses like the 58 suck, but they’re missing the point - there’s a totality of the rendering which appeals to us that is difficult to express in measurements.

Leave us be. We won’t force our choice down your throat and expect the same.

I see nothing wrong in trying to save someone from spending a lot of money on nothing.

Few years ago there was another story about another lens. Helios 40. Some photographer wrote an article about this lens and somewhat it went viral. Everyone suddenly "fell in love" with that lens and prices on it skyrocketed. Up to 300-500% IIRC. The hype was so strong that even factory that produced those lenses many years ago renewed production of "v2" of this lens. So, what special was about this lens? It's swirly bokeh:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/helios_40-2/pool/

Yet, it is pretty soft wide open, and this swirly bokeh appears only in some special situations like background dot light sources or similar that produce "spots" in background.

Many people overpayed for this lens, just because it was very, very popular among wedding photographers and influencers. What happend next? Many realized that that's not what they expected and were very disappointed. Sure, they were and still are those who like that lens, but those are minority. Prices since then coming back no pre-hype era, but you'll hardly see new articles or reviews on that lens.

And I feel that 58 is somewhat similar to that Helios. Hyped as a "special" lens, but in reality, it's "so special" that it will disappoint most of those who'll buy it.

All in all, I'm trying to learn on other's mistakes and share my thoughts on it. Just don't say that I didn't warn you

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow