P900/950 or B700 owners please help!

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OutsideTheMatrix
OutsideTheMatrix Senior Member • Posts: 6,520
Re: P900/950 or B700 owners please help!

Sam808 wrote:

Bob A L wrote:

You need to try with on one of these Nikons = you might be surprised.

I don't like the B700 images. They are grainy. P900 and P950 images look better.
P950 has a huge price tag and for that price i can get a Panasonic FZ1000 II and a large UHS SD card.

I think my usage of a bridge camera would be as follow:

1- birds/animals up to 800mm 60%

2- 800mm+ 10%

3- landscape (wide angle) 5%

4- portrait (up to 75mm) 10%

5- Night/low light shots 10%

6- Macro 5%

You're similar to me..... I do mostly birds, planets, the moon, some landscapes and sunsets, etc.  I decided to get the combo of EM10Mk2 + 75-300 lens (I already have the 14-42 and 40-150 lens and another M43 body, the EPL-6), and the P900, which can be had for less than half the price of the P950.  My reasoning is as follows: the EM10Mk2 is going to be a lot better than the P950 for night time and low light shots (and has a Live Composide mode to boot, which was just made for fireworks, northern lights, lightning, meteor showers, etc.) and for everything beyond 600mm EFL I'll use the P900.  The P950's bulb and timer mode wouldn't come into play because for all that stuff I'd be using my M43 gear anyway.  I dont have a tracking tripod so wouldn't be able to do long exposures of the sky beyond the M43's range either.  I use the LCD and I put antiglare antiscratch glass screens on all my cameras and dont use the EVF- which is a lot better on the P950.  But I might be upgrading to the P950 anyway because the P900 AF is very hit and miss.  I just need to make sure I can get a continuous power supply for it (a requirement for all my cameras because I do long timelapses.  4K manual movie mode might be a bonus, however I have read that doing  a lot of video can damage camera sensors, so I'm leery of that.  The only thing I'd miss is the BSS mode thats in the P900 but not later cameras, Best Shot Selection is really good!  I really like it for planets and birds and the moon because it keeps the best shot- the one taken with the best atmospheric conditions.)

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Labe
MOD Labe
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow