Nikkor 50mm f1.8s vs. Nikon 58mm f1.4g on a Z6

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Sukuwea Enikkusu Junior Member • Posts: 30
Re: Nikkor 50mm f1.8s vs. Nikon 58mm f1.4g on a Z6

SpacemanUA wrote:

If you use it for <1mpx pictures or instagram - sure, why not. With such sizes almost any lens is brilliant. And don't even get me started on this mywed stat, it's plain ridiculous for both evaluating optical quality of a lens and lens popularity.

We already saw bokeh comparison. Here's plain numbers of mentioned Sigma vs NIkon 58 vs Nikon 50 vs Zeiss Otus 55:

https://photographylife.com/reviews/sigma-50mm-f1-4-dg-hsm-art/4

It's not hard to see that 58 only gets to wide open Sigma at it's sweet spot at f/5.6. And the trick with "oh that bokeh" is very simple: it's very soft in corners and edges. This makes picture look more "magical", but once you place your model out of the center of the frame, you'll have even more problems. Sure, it's a bit better than 50/1.4G, but we all know that the latter was never known as a best 50 mil out there.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nikon gear, it was my first camera (and you know that first camera leaves a mark on your heart ). And I really like 50S and 35S, which many doesn't I just don't see why should we praise a not-so-good lens just because it's a Nikon's lens. Especially if there are a lot of better choices. I think that 58 is more like a collectible rather than a tool. So if you are a collector you don't need any advices, I guess. But if you're looking for a "workhorse" lens - it's definitely 50S in this comparison. Or a Sigma if you need 1.4. And, actually, +85S for a price of single 58/1.4.

And again, professionals and enthusiasts alike disagree with you, someone who has probably never even touched this lens and is theorycrafting instead of trying to use it.

https://mywed.com/de/analytics/lens-view/?lens=AF-S+Nikkor+58mm+f%2F1.4G

If you didn't know it was the 58mm, would you ever say these pictures were shot by a not-so-good-lens?

Again, for people photography the 58m is undeniable good. If you want a versatile, reliant performer for everything, the 50s indeed fits the bill better.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow