Easy-to-use APS-C travel and family camera at ~$500 to $1000 (Fuji X-A7?)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Cato1040
Cato1040 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,840
Re: Easy-to-use APS-C travel and family camera at ~$500 to $1000 (Fuji X-A7?)

brownf wrote:

My father is our family photographer, but he's always depended on his now-aging Samsung Galaxy S8. He wants to upgrade to a standalone camera that has a moderate zoom (4x to 8x) for mostly travel, is easy enough to use, and is substantially better in low light than current smartphones.

The price limit is soft at $1,000; cheaper is better, but this will probably be his last ever camera, so we're saving up.

Sony A6100 + 16-50mm + 55-210mm @ $898.00USD

Because I've owned a Sony NEX-3 and an RX100 II, so I've been tasked to finding the right camera.

And you'd already be familiar with Sony

Here are the kinds of photos he likes to create (his phone has been limiting). I've added in parentheses the features that seem to fit. Ideally, fewer total lenses is better.

• Night photography walking in towns & cities (APS-C sensor, decently fast lenses)

APS-C. Not that fast, but neither are the lenses you suggested. If you want faster, there are plenty of f/1.8 and f/1.4 primes in the system. There are also f/2.8 and f/4 zooms.

• Useful zoom (interchangeable lenses; ~100mm equiv. lenses that don't cost an arm & leg)

24-315mm equivalent

• Family shots (reliably fast eye & face autofocus; smooth video)

The A6100 has one of the best AF systems out there

• Wide landscape shots & videos (a wide end at 24mm equiv. or wider; no 4K video crop—I know this removes so many otherwise great cameras, gosh)

It has a 24mm equivalent and has 4K without crop.

• Easy to use (comfortable grip; a reliable auto mode; great autofocus, especially one that can limit shutter speeds to avoid blurry photos; not-terrible menus)

One of the better grips in the market IMO, reliable auto mode, fantastic AF, and is super customizable.

• Noticeably better than his Galaxy S8 and perhaps future phones (APS-C)

With the right technique, definitely.

The main other option I'd recommend is the RX100 series. They're 1" sensor compacts, but if you're mainly looking at the budget zoom lenses for APS-C, they may not be significantly better than a 1" compact with a faster zoom lens. APS-C bodies will mainly shine with better lenses.

Cato1040's gear list:Cato1040's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Fujifilm X100T Panasonic LX10 Sony a6000 Sony a7 III +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow