Why DSLR's, mirrorless cameras will grow in number

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
OP rsn48 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,755
Replacing cameras...really

My evolution of 50 years of photography in one sentence. Started out film with an SLR, then into DSLR both crop and full frame, then into the wonderful Fuji world, and then more of a believer with Smartphones.

But a phone can replace some of what a DSLR/mirrorless can do, I can hardly wait to see your BIF's from the phone. And your real macro shots, not the phone 1:4 or 1:2, I'm talking 1:1 and lower, Canon 65 macro anyone?

Or lets take that phone image and blow it up, that works real well. I'm not being anti-phone, I'm thinking of teaching a course called - "Learn photography with your phone camera." The phone camera does some things very well, there is a heck of a lot they don't do well. But you can learn composition and exposure (with a download for your phone to expand the control you have over ISO, f stop, shutter speed, etc) with a small camera. You can learn a lot with a small camera which a phone jobbie is.

So let me give you part two of the first sentence I did summarizing my photography journey. I have taken many photos with my phone I love and Fuji has given me a great street camera and I love my X T1 for mucking about. But even though I rebelled against the weight of the Canon full frame - currently 5D mk 4 - and L and non L Canon lenses and Sigma lenses, I have begun to journey back to the mk 4.

I find my large Canon is quicker to set up than the Fuji, I know that isn't the party line.  And I love the ability to crop in deeper with a larger sensor. I prefer shooting with my Canon and Sigma 150 - 600 for BIF's even better than the Fuji, easier to see BIF's in a larger optical viewfinder.

In Canada I was an officer in the Army Cadet program and I would watch parents taking pics of their son and daughters grad and I knew that for the majority of the parents photographing, the images would be lost sooner than latter.  That their son or daughter was standing far enough away that I knew their size in the image would be very small.

The phone camera is the Kodak Brownie of today, billions of pictures taken with it, and some of those photographing moved into the photography world. Everything ebbs and flows.

-- hide signature --

According to Manny Faber, there are "termite artists" who shoot in obscurity pursuing an inner vision others can't see (think Vivian Maier). And there are "white elephant artists" who shout out with technique and vision for all to see (think Ansel Adams). Which one you are doesn't matter, both have produced fine art.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AOC
Bob
AOC
AOC
AOC
AOC
AOC
AOC
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow