New APS-C Flagship. What do you think?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP MaciekPruski Regular Member • Posts: 254
Re: New APS-C Flagship. What do you think?

squareEye wrote:

MaciekPruski wrote:

So... We all watched the video from Pentax. I'm curious what other Pentaxians think about the upcoming flagship.

My thoughts:

1. Better OVF. Nice, that's definitely a welcome feature. We know it's probably not going to be a "hybrid" evf/ovf but perhaps a very large OVF and some heads-up display of focus position like in the K1. I'm okay with that, it would be a solid improvement.

Bigger is better

2. AF joystick. Also nice. I'm actually ok with AF speed and accuracy on my Pentax cameras but I never liked focus point selection with buttons, it's often too slow.

Who cares?

3. Better AF - we'll see how much better. They always say it's gonna be better but somehow it's still behind competition.

better is better, but good enough is OK

4. Anyway, if these are the only new features it will be hard to justify an upgrade from the KP, especially that it's not going to be cheap.. Perhaps it would be enough for K3 owners but not really for KP or K1 owners.

Better (15ev dynamic range?)+Bigger sensor(1.6X16mp = 26mp),

improved live-view cum mirrorless functionality,

added overlay on OVF for focus peaking, focus points etc,

"flappy" screen or lifty screen,

battery compatible with previous flagships,

dual card slots, priced same as KP at entry...

Any three on this list = buy now...two or fewer = wait or give up until my k5iiS dies

-
squareEye

I'm afraid that dynamic range won't be improved too much. I haven't noticed much improvement in this regard moving from K5iis to KP.

Improved live view is something we can hope for.

Generally focus peaking like the one in live view can't be implemented in an OVF because the sensor doesn't see anything when the mirror is down. To they'd need a semi-translucent mirror or some kind of separate lens for this-not happening. If anything, they might carry the focus point indication from K1 over to the K-new, it is quite nice.

Yes, the price. That's going to be a big factor, but I'm not hoping for a KP-level price, I'm afraid it's going to be higher.

MaciekPruski's gear list:MaciekPruski's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
K0d
tex
K0d
tex
tex
tex
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow