Pixels and Sensors

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
skyglider Veteran Member • Posts: 5,425
Re: "The key to IQ"

ageneric wrote:

You have hit on the nub of my question - if a smaller sensor has the same MP rating as a larger one, from the advice above, the number of pixels are the same. Yes? I do get the smaller sensor gets less light which is going to affect IQ but the absolute resolution is the same, right?

So if I am shooting 600 mm at f4 with a smaller sensor but f6.3 with a larger one (which means inherently less light) is it not sort of a wash? (All other things being equal)

If you have two sensors of different sizes but with the same MP ratings, the difference will be that the larger sensor will have larger pixels.  Larger pixels equate to better dynamic range and less noise in low light.  Resolutions will be the same.

Larger dynamic range means greater difference between the darker and lighter parts of your image.  Reason is that larger pixels in the larger sensor can capture more light photons before getting filled, than smaller pixels in the smaller sensor.

Also more photons in a larger sensor results in better signal to noise ratios resulting in less noise in low light images.

The absolute resolutions of the two sensors will be the same but the image from the larger sensor can look better because of the reasons above.  But the visual difference in outdoor pictures in sunlight will not be obvious to the average person.

Sky

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow