Nikkor 50mm f1.8s vs. Nikon 58mm f1.4g on a Z6

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
SpacemanUA
SpacemanUA Senior Member • Posts: 1,683
Re: Nikkor 50mm f1.8s vs. Nikon 58mm f1.4g on a Z6

James Stirling wrote:

If it was that easy to generate bokeh lots of folk could save an awful lot of cash . I am on the side of the 50 s as landscapes are my main interest so I appreciate the razor sharp ability of this lens . But , sadly bokeh is not matched as easily as adding some blur, bokeh is a qualitative not quantitative thing

Bu every time I see blind test in such discussions, all the guys who are "bokeh pro" refuse to take part in it And that's why I mentioned Sigma 50/1.4 Art. Take this article for example:

https://fstoppers.com/education/art-versus-art-sigma-art-50-14-vs-nikon-58-14-126764

Looking at bokeh samples, which one you prefer?

For me, it's Sigma for being creamier and cleaner. But let's read author's impression:

After looking through all of the images, what I think you will see is that the bokeh rendering of the Sigma is remarkably precise, something you may expect from the lens that is known for being, well remarkably precise all the way around. The bokeh from the Nikon 58 does not produce clean and predictable circles, and I love it. This speaks to the character of the lens which the Nikon has plenty of. You will also notice a color shift between each lens, it is very consistent between series to series, this is something that will come up again later on. The synopsis for this particular test is that the Nikon 58 produces Bokeh with unique characteristics and plenty of character. The lens has a special "look" and in this test alone is my clear favorite, each photographer is of course free to make their own determination and may have differences in preference.

The funniest part about that is if it was Sigma that didn't "produce clean and predictable circles", it would've been a downside for this lens. It's always happens But don't you think that "the worse bokeh is, the better bokeh is" makes no sense? We've seen a lot of lenses with "cat's eye" bokeh (50S is one of them), but not that many with round circles. It's obviously harder to make and it should be valued higher. I know that the final argument in this discussion will be "I like this one better and that's it". I just wanted to show how ridiculous this can be. And yes, try to add some blur into 50S photo to equal it to 58/1.4 and compare those photos.

And exactly because bokeh is a very subjective thing I vote for sharpness in this kind of comparisons. Just because you can reduce overall sharpness without losing anything, adding "the look", but you can't add sharpness without losing IQ.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow