if you are new to m4/3s read this

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
SteveY80 Senior Member • Posts: 1,409
Re: if you are new to m4/3s read this

joeletx wrote:

SteveY80 wrote:

joeletx wrote:

SteveY80 wrote:

I responded to this point in my last comment and explained why I'd still consider it "manual" even if there's auto ISO.

There are plenty of things that have changed since the days of those fully manual film cameras. Not least the fact that choosing a different ISO no longer means changing the film.

Does M stop being a true manual mode if someone turns on auto white balance rather than setting it themselves? What if they add a TTL flash that automatically adjusts its power level even in M mode? How about if they use JPEG rather than raw, allowing the camera to process the image for them?

My point is that there are plenty of features on modern cameras that can reduce the purity of the sacred M mode. I don't understand why it's the option of auto-ISO that always seems to cause controversy.

This is getting to the point of a broken record so I thought I look it up on the Pentax website.

The information you posted is laughable out of date. The oldest Pentax camera I've used is the K10D released back in 2006, and that certainly allowed the use of EC in TAv mode.

See page 144 of the manual: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k10d.pdf

Maybe some of their earliest digital cameras lacked this feature, but I'm not sure what point you're even trying to make by bringing up a downright ancient Pentax implementation?

I can only show you the up to date information shown in RIcoh website at this moment, before I replied to you; and below are the screenshots made exclusive just for you.

I doubt that it would make make any sense to you because your mind has already made up.

You're certainly correct that this comment doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It's hard for me to make my mind up about anything when I have no idea what point you're trying to make.

As interesting as it is that you've found incorrect or out of date information on the Ricoh website, I'm afraid I just don't see the relevance. As Pentax/Ricoh uniquely refer to this mode as TAv there doesn't even seem to be a connection to the semantic argument you were making over "manual mode" terminology.

SteveY80's gear list:SteveY80's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a77 II +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow