Sony A7 mk iii vs Fuji XT-3...which system to invest in for student/entry professional

Started May 14, 2020 | Discussions thread
OP gonzophoto New Member • Posts: 6
Re: Sony A7 mk iii vs Fuji XT-3...which system to invest in for student/entry professional

Astrotripper wrote:

What EVF issues?

Since shooting in the studio has very low ambient light, and EVF preview is default setting it just means every time you have to switch settings to live mode. Not a big deal, but can be annoying if you have a system that you switch back and forth between studio and regular shooting. Some menus make this easier and some harder, but there's not a lot out there on how this affects Fuji vs Sony systems. Seems fine either way.

There are now some fairly compact lenses for Sony. So as long as you don't go into super tele territory and you accept the quality penalty of most smaller lenses, then you should be fine. And you leave the door open for some more over the top lenses for the future.

For reference, here's for example a comparison with UWA zooms: https://camerasize.com/compact/#770.31,800.584,777.845,567.326,ga,t

Ah yeah this is a great comparison....XT3 comes out #2 to A9 though for a third of the price! pretty impressive.

Sony has plenty of third party support, Fuji has almost none. Pricing is tricky as you really should be looking at prices of the stuff that you are interested in.

Totally sony for the win here.

Depends on the lens. Their 18-135 is crap and the new 16-80 is very mediocre but priced as if it were stellar. AF on earlier Fuji lenses is very slow as well.

16-55 seems the gold standard and not too pricey. almost the same as the 16-80. Have you used either?

It's a bit similar with Sony lenses. Especially their earlier offerings were underwhelming (like the 24-70/4).

But as mentioned above, plenty of other companies make lenses for FE mount now. And with Sigma entering the field with lenses designed specifically for mirrorless, there is little doubt that when it comes to high quality lenses, Sony wins, if only because of sheer number of quality options available.

I believe Fuji just opened the x mount system to third party so that's an interesting development.

Well, then pick which ones, for both Sony and Fuji and see how much that would cost and how big that would be.

Both. It's the same for all systems.

Does Fuji have a radio controlled flash system (like other systems do) for example? What about Sony? How well does tethered shooting work? Is it wired or can it be wireless (again, like with some other systems). And so on. I don't know about those things, but you might want to look into those topics.

Neither have their own flash systems and the best systems are profoto and godox which have their own compatible flash triggers that fit in hotshoe. Tethered works for both, wifi is pretty slow.

Frankly, that sounds like a weird problem. It would have to be veeery dark for EVF not being able to keep up. What's the setup that causes this issue? Did you by any chance had constant preview enabled and shooting at super tiny apertures like f/16?

Here's a good explanation if you're interested...it's a weird little quirk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHEb90Ei_hE

Fast medium telephoto glass, is where this will take you

For handheld shooting, a good IBIS is a must. Once you've experienced the magic of OIS+IBIS+digital IS, it's hard to live with anything less.

Yeah, my last two mirrorless cameras had ibis which is great.  I agree it's a deal breaker....almost.

As for the rest, pretty much all current gen cameras have at least very good video capabilities. So unless you are looking to do professional work (as in, for broadcast or actual filmmaking), I would not worry too much about it. Hell, even companies that were always ages behind competition in terms of video offer solid video capabilities with surprisingly reliable video AF nowadays.

No. I believe both can do the job.

Pick a few specific kits for both. You know, your perfect kit, that would do exactly what you want. And see what you get. Should be eye opening.

Thanks for all the advice!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow