Panasonic vs Olympus : 15mm vs 17mm, 42.5mm vs 45mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Loga Senior Member • Posts: 1,874
Re: Panasonic vs Olympus : 15mm vs 17mm, 42.5mm vs 45mm

andy_sf wrote:

glassoholic wrote:

All four lenses are good, but the two Pana options are sharper to the edges wide open, if that matters to you. The 17 is also a little soft overall but unless you look for it, not really a problem.

Agree in general but the difference is really small (I suspect very close to sample to sample variation).

I found a surprising difference between Oly 17/1.8 and PL 15/1.7 which nobody seems to mention - I like Oly's color rendition much better. It's a subtle but noticeable difference - Oly has normal tonality with a bit more vibrant colors while PL has more cold palette. Maybe it's Olympus in camera processing tuned specifically for this lens

I don't think so. I did not have these lenses, but in review comparisons between the 15mm and the 14mm f2.5 it seemed to me that the 15mm's pictures always have a colder look. That strengthen the suspect that it has a colder color palette. Whether you like this or that is more like a matter of taste.

This also means that you could try the 14mm f2.5, since it has good colors and IMHO a wide enough focal length for cityscapes.

but I was not able to replicate Oly's colors in post processing of PL's photos.

Sharpness vise there was no difference between the lenses in the center - my copies were both sharp. PL was slightly sharper in the corners but I had to pixel peep to confirm that. I needed the lens for citiscapes mostly, so I sold Oly but I'm still missing it's colors - might buy it again, especially that it could be had below $200 used now.

Loga's gear list:Loga's gear list
Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow