Canon 5d Mark 2 and Canon 70d

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 3,667
Re: Canon 5d Mark 2 and Canon 70d

psychelica wrote:

I bought the Canon 70d, mainly for video, with the idea of possibly getting a FF if I started taking more stills. I really like the 70d and as I prefer prime lenses was thinking of getting a Sigma 30mm to have the equivalent of 50mm. However there is a 5d mark 2 for sale secondhand which is not that much more than the 30mm lens. So my question is would it be better to buy the 5d and then I could use my Sigma 50mm lens? In effect meaning I would have a FF camera instead of another lens.

I never take more than one lens with me when I take photographs and I also have an 85mm lens.

I don't have any direct experience with a 5D ii, but you would want to check it's suitability for video. The 70D was the first Canon DSLR with DPAF and that dramatically improved the focus speeds for video and the 5D ii doesn't have DPAF. It is probably the least well-regarded 5D model.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow