Buying the X-T4 - but which kit lens

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,782
Re: Umm, not really

Greg7579 wrote:

Alan_Hogg wrote:

I have owned both lenses, but replaced the 18-55 with the 16-55 years ago. My own experience (and frankly most others documented here over the last few years) vastly differed from yours, which raises the question as to whether the copy of the 16-55 you had was acceptable, or perhaps had issues. Even setting aside the obvious advantages of constant f/2.8 aperture, I found the end-to-end IQ of the 16-55 to be far more consistent than the 18-55, and, particularly on the long end, hardly "marginal" as you put it.

Hi Folks

OK I give up. But I am definitely not the only one who has owned a mediocre 16-55. See the current ‘Fuji 16-55 2.8 experience’ thread. I don’t think it hurts for prospective buyers to be reminded that variations are alive and well even within high end and highly recommended lenses. I have 4 excellent Fuji primes as well as two zooms so can recognise good (and not so good) lenses when I use them ( in case anyone thinks my bad experience on the 16-55 was due to lack of other lenses to compare with).

Greg. Happy to show you around my neck of the woods if you come to NZ. Just google me for contact details. I live only 10 km from Hobbiton so great not having hordes of tourists crawling along our rural road!

Hamilton, New Zealand.

Don't give up! It would take all the fun out of lens arguments!

If we can't argue about lenses on this Fuji camera equipment board, what good to Mankind are we?

And what the Heck would I do during quarantine?

What we need is for a really skilled Sony Troll to come on here and tell us our Fuji gear sucks!

Let’s not, Greg. You’ll probably want to practice your anti-troll strategies somewhere else. We have plenty enough conflict in the forum to deal with as it is, thank you. And, what’s more, with all that gear you’re hauling around, I have a feeling that staying occupied will be one of your lesser issues.

And, Alan, if only I knew, I could have waved at you during our visit to NZ (which included Hobbiton) a few years back. What a beautiful, friendly, and hospitable country. Can’t wait to return once travel becomes practical again.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow