Sony A7 mk iii vs Fuji XT-3...which system to invest in for student/entry professional

Started May 14, 2020 | Discussions thread
OP gonzophoto New Member • Posts: 6
Re: Sony A7 mk iii vs Fuji XT-3...which system to invest in for student/entry professional

thomaslux wrote:

Well, here are my thoughts.

Know that I have my own bias - long-time Fuji user, including studio use.

Affordability - six of one, half a dozen of the other. This really comes down to how much you end up investing in glass. Either system will involve a decent bit of cost if you end up requiring a lot of different lenses. There are great lens options on both sides.

Lens quality for the price - My experience with Fuji glass has been extremely positive - I'll let others comment on Sony lenses. They aren't cheap lenses.

After posting I did a side by side of comparable lenses and found that overall, I could actually buy the BEST Fuji lenses for less than the second tier Sony lenses.

Body change - you can see what Fuji has done over the life of the X-mount bodies so far to get an understanding on what that would look like. Regular body updates which tend to be more gradual refinements compared to 'quantum leaps'. IBIS within the X-T bodies now is a plus for some of your potential use cases, not studio work really though. Options for second bodies are diverse - I like the X-Tx0 series for a small second body with similar ergonomics to it's bigger brothers.

I do like having IBIS but as you said it's not super useful for tripod studio work although it can be a great added feature. I'm thinking I could try out the Xt-3 and upgrade to XT-4 when some used ones hit the market later. I see you have an X-H1, or shot with one in the past. What are your thoughts on that body? Could it be a better intro to the system for me at lower cost with IBIS? Overall I haven't heard a lot of favorable talk about that body.

Use in the studio - to be honest, I don't see much Fuji or Sony in the studio, mostly Canon and Nikon. I'm starting to see a lot more Fuji medium format. I've never had trouble with the EVF, I find it very clear, you just manage the settings accordingly.

High-speed sports - this type of photography is so far outside of my wheelhouse I won't comment, except to say that people are very complementary about Sony AF.

Interesting comparison in this from Tony Northrup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oXHiORuRk0 and he ranks XT-3 as higher than A7iii and just 2nd behind A9...I was suprised

Video - The X-T4 is a good video body, not the best. I'm not highly into video, so don't pay too much attention to my thoughts on this.

In the same boat here.

Full-frame vs APS-C - This is a can of worms. I've made my choice and I'm happy with it - and I'm one of a small number of photographers here who gets paid for their work, even if it isn't my full-time occupation. The difficulty in comparing sensor size between systems is you can say that, all things being equal, full frame has advantages in several areas that could be particularly relevant to studo photography (and I don't disagree) - the issue is, however, that all things are never equal between systems, therefore it's not so cut and dried.

What would you say are the advantages aside from better depth of field on FF?  I'm mostly shooting in f8-f16 in the studio (product, tabletop, food etc.) so I actually prefer sharpness.  And as far as I can see the best fuji glass make up for the full frame difference.  I can't really see a definitive difference between aps-c and full frame images at the same approximate mp (24-26mp in this case).

Finally, what system should you choose?

On that I've got no opinion, because I don't know the Sony system well enough to comment. From what I read here and from people I know personally who use it, it's a great set-up. Both Fuji and Sony are doing a great job with their cameras but have a different approach.

Edit - thinking more about this.

If I was to go back in time and talk to my past self around optimising my set up for studio, I'd suggest - beyond whatever Fuji body suited - that I pick up the 56mm F1.2 and the 90mm F2 straight off the bat. They are sublime lenses for photographing people and if considering Fuji I would suggest you factor in their costs, they aren't what I'd call the most affordable glass.

I've definitely got my eye on the 56mm 1.2, which is a steal at $1000 vs $1800 for the Sony 85mm 1.2.  Sony does have a 85 1.8 for $600 but this is what i mean by their second tier lens being closer in price Fuji's 1st tier in equivalent focal length.  And Sony's FE mount 135 (equivalent to the Fuji 90mm) is $2k.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow