Buying the X-T4 - but which kit lens

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Alan_Hogg Regular Member • Posts: 116
Re: Umm, not really

I have owned both lenses, but replaced the 18-55 with the 16-55 years ago. My own experience (and frankly most others documented here over the last few years) vastly differed from yours, which raises the question as to whether the copy of the 16-55 you had was acceptable, or perhaps had issues. Even setting aside the obvious advantages of constant f/2.8 aperture, I found the end-to-end IQ of the 16-55 to be far more consistent than the 18-55, and, particularly on the long end, hardly "marginal" as you put it.

Hi Folks

OK I give up. But I am definitely not the only one who has owned a mediocre 16-55. See the current ‘Fuji 16-55 2.8 experience’ thread. I don’t think it hurts for prospective buyers to be reminded that variations are alive and well even within high end and highly recommended lenses. I have 4 excellent Fuji primes as well as two zooms so can recognise good (and not so good) lenses when I use them ( in case anyone thinks my bad experience on the 16-55 was due to lack of other lenses to compare with).

Greg. Happy to show you around my neck of the woods if you come to NZ. Just google me for contact details. I live only 10 km from Hobbiton so great not having hordes of tourists crawling along our rural road!

Hamilton, New Zealand.

Alan_Hogg's gear list:Alan_Hogg's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow