Panasonic 10-25mm f1.7 or Olympus 17mm f1.2?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Jan Chelminski
Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 1,899
Re: Panasonic 10-25mm f1.7 or Olympus 17mm f1.2?

woodyu388 wrote:

Wow, so many great responses. I appreciate the input everyone! I found a great deal at Adorama on a preowned 17mm f1.2, so it will be on the way shortly!

Looking back through my photos, I found too many taken at f1.7 with ISO 3200+ that would have benefited from the f1.2. And I found that a lot were taken in places/situations where the giant 10-25mm may be a bit socially awkward. The 17mm f1.2 is still large, but not so large that I would feel awkward with it or worry about the GM5 being too small to handle it.

I'm still intrigued by the 10-25mm though, and can envision a whole new realm of creative low light photography with it. The goal now is to resist the urge to get both... it certainly wouldn't be very financially responsible, but the 0% financing offers might just convince me.

Thank you again for all the suggestions, and happy shooting! Stay safe and healthy!

Excellent decision, IMO!

The particularly nice thing about the 17/1.2, is it's quality level wide open, which is quite remarkable, and I'm sure you will find it very useful in maximizing your shooting envelope. Where light permits, shooting at f/2.8-f/6.3 will give you further, exceptional sharpness/quality across the frame.

Great luck with it!

Regards,

Jan

-- hide signature --

"The camera introduces us to to unconscious optics as does psychoanalysis to unconscious impulses"
------
"The art of the critic in a nutshell: to coin slogans without betraying ideas. The slogans of an inadequate criticism peddle ideas to fashion."
-------
- Walter Benjamin
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Drawing is a constant correcting of errors, maybe a great deal of creation is exactly that."
-----
- John Berger
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"...to photograph is to frame, and to frame is to exclude."
------
-- Susan Sontag

Jan Chelminski's gear list:Jan Chelminski's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus 25mm F1.2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow