Re: M mode + auto ISO + EC

joeletx wrote:

SteveY80 wrote:

joeletx wrote:

JacquesC wrote:

joeletx wrote:

JacquesC wrote:

joeletx wrote:

Agree mostly with what said. My pet peeve with some DSLR to m4/3 requests was the ability to do exposure compensation in manual mode with auto ISO on. To me! this must be the most oxymoron thing to do. Why shoot in manual mode then?

I'm trying to explain why it is sometimes convenient (even necessary) to be able to apply EC when shooting in M mode with auto-ISO enabled.

Example: Imagine I am shooting dancers on a theatre stage where the lighting is uneven across the stage and also changing brightness continuously. Because light levels are generally on the low side I want to use an aperture of f2.8, and I want to use a shutter speed of 1/400sec to avoid motion blur of the dancers. With auto-ISO enabled I am happy that my exposure will be correct all the time, even if light levels change rapidly. These settings might be perfectly good for 95% of the time, BUT if a dancer comes on stage wearing a highly reflective white costume I might find that the costume causes over exposure. In this instance I would like to dial in -1EV compensation without having to change aperture or shutter speed (or having to revert to setting ISO manually).

I can do exactly the same thing; set Auto-ISO "Off "; set the lever to position 2 and use the front wheel to compensate -1EV for the dancer's costume. When I roll back the front wheel, I will see the subject gets dimmer and the dancer's costume adjusted with ISO drops by 1 stop accordingly. This is done on my E-M1 II. I don't have the E-M-10 so I can't speak for it.

Doing it your way; Auto-ISO "On", aperture and shutter speed fixed; when you dial the assign (+/-) button, you would see exactly -1EV drop on the ISO value. This is exactly the same thing I can accomplish without assign a EC (+/-) button.

The difference in that scenario is that your camera wouldn't then automatically adjust the ISO if the lighting changed. Adjusting the ISO manually would only provide the desired brightness at that particular moment. If the lighting is rapidly changing as described, you'd have to constantly tweak the ISO control to maintain the brightness you wanted.

In contrast, when using auto-ISO, the camera would meter the scene and maintain that -1EV setting by adjusting ISO as the lighting changed. It would also adjust the ISO if other settings were changed, e.g. if it a particular shot required the aperture to be stopped down for deeper depth of field. It means that the ISO setting can pretty much be ignored while shooting.

I see your point now, but it would not be any different than the scenario I had pointed out to JacquesC. When lighting changes or subject outfit changes, you have to make the adjustment; either with the front wheel, or with the assigned EC button.

No, when the lighting changes in that scenario you wouldn't necessarily need to adjust EC. The camera would meter the scene and automatically increase ISO when the lighting gets darker, or reduce ISO when the lighting gets brighter.

As long as something like a newly introduced white costume doesn't throw off the metering the EC control could be left as it is. It might be necessary to change EC a few times during the shoot, but you wouldn't need to constantly adjust it just to maintain a set brightness.

SteveY80's gear list:SteveY80's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a77 II +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow