Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
SteveY80 Senior Member • Posts: 1,420
Re: M mode + auto ISO + EC

joeletx wrote:

JacquesC wrote:

joeletx wrote:

JacquesC wrote:

joeletx wrote:

Agree mostly with what said. My pet peeve with some DSLR to m4/3 requests was the ability to do exposure compensation in manual mode with auto ISO on. To me! this must be the most oxymoron thing to do. Why shoot in manual mode then?

Manual exposure mode allows you to select the exact shutter speed and aperture that you want, and with auto-ISO enabled exposure compensation effectively allows you to adjust ISO in a more convenient way. This obviously depends on whether the camera in question allows you to do this and whether it is more convenient than simply adjusting ISO.

I have used this very effectively in a theatre environment where lighting changes rapidly and unpredictably - most of the time normal exposure (M mode, Auto-ISO enabled) works fine, but if you need to very quickly change the exposure then it is handy to have the ability to do so via EC.

I fail to see what you are leading to. Both of my E-M1 I and II don't event have EC (+/-) dedicated button; my DSLR E-3 and E-5 do have them.

On either E-M1 bodies, in M-Mode, with Live View Boost set to "Off", Lever-1 is the EC adjustment. The back wheel adjusts the shutter speed and the front adjust the aperture. I you rock back and forth either of these wheels, the view in your EVF or on the back LCD changes from dark to bright as the exposure is compensated according the the rapid light changing condition, very conveniently. I can't think of a situation, where I need a dedicated (+/-) EC function.

If you switch to Lever-2, rocking back and forth the front wheel will change the ISO which in turn shows your LCD or EVF going from dark to bright or vice versa. The front wheel in this case, is my (+/-) button. The new E-M1X and E-M1 III do have the dedicated ISO button, so that is kind of third EC option in M-Mode.

I can only speak of OMD m43 bodies and maybe that is where you and I don't see the common ground.

I'm trying to explain why it is sometimes convenient (even necessary) to be able to apply EC when shooting in M mode with auto-ISO enabled.

Example: Imagine I am shooting dancers on a theatre stage where the lighting is uneven across the stage and also changing brightness continuously. Because light levels are generally on the low side I want to use an aperture of f2.8, and I want to use a shutter speed of 1/400sec to avoid motion blur of the dancers. With auto-ISO enabled I am happy that my exposure will be correct all the time, even if light levels change rapidly. These settings might be perfectly good for 95% of the time, BUT if a dancer comes on stage wearing a highly reflective white costume I might find that the costume causes over exposure. In this instance I would like to dial in -1EV compensation without having to change aperture or shutter speed (or having to revert to setting ISO manually).

I can do exactly the same thing; set Auto-ISO "Off "; set the lever to position 2 and use the front wheel to compensate -1EV for the dancer's costume. When I roll back the front wheel, I will see the subject gets dimmer and the dancer's costume adjusted with ISO drops by 1 stop accordingly. This is done on my E-M1 II. I don't have the E-M-10 so I can't speak for it.

Doing it your way; Auto-ISO "On", aperture and shutter speed fixed; when you dial the assign (+/-) button, you would see exactly -1EV drop on the ISO value. This is exactly the same thing I can accomplish without assign a EC (+/-) button.

The difference in that scenario is that your camera wouldn't then automatically adjust the ISO if the lighting changed. Adjusting the ISO manually would only provide the desired brightness at that particular moment. If the lighting is rapidly changing as described, you'd have to constantly tweak the ISO control to maintain the brightness you wanted.

In contrast, when using auto-ISO, the camera would meter the scene and maintain that -1EV setting by adjusting ISO as the lighting changed. It would also adjust the ISO if other settings were changed, e.g. if it a particular shot required the aperture to be stopped down for deeper depth of field. It means that the ISO setting can pretty much be ignored while shooting.

SteveY80's gear list:SteveY80's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a77 II +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow