The missing link: Cameras with sensors between 1/2.3” and 1”. Where are they?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Svein Eriksen Senior Member • Posts: 1,971
Re: The missing link: Cameras with sensors between 1/2.3” and 1”. Where are they?

Bob A L wrote:

…... I have only owned one 2/3 sensor camera (Olympus E10) and even though I liked the camera, was less than impressed in the sensor performance in comparison to my cameras with 1/1.7 sensor sizes. ...

I believe that at some point (dont remember the year) a new generation of 1/1.7" sensor-cameras came out with significantly better noise performance than earlier versions. Not sure if that was due to better sensor design or better noise reduction, but they performed as good or better than the 2/3" sensor models on the market.

The 2/3"-based cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Sony never got a similar upgrade and that sensor size more or less disappeared from the market although Fujifilm used 2/3" sensors later in some advanced bridge/super zoom models.

I used my Nikon 8800 for many years waiting for a really good replacement with a decent sized sensor. Finally got a RX10 2-3 years ago which clearly outperforms the 8800 in every area except size and weight.

It would be interesting to see what could be done with a 2/3" sensor today using the latest sensor technology and lens designs in both RX100- and RX10-competitors.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
jnd
MOD Smaug01
Bob
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow