Negative drying after Developing help please

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Tomm111 Contributing Member • Posts: 718
Re: Negative drying after Developing help please

jaeae wrote:

mamallama wrote:

jaeae wrote:

I'm no expert (developed something like 15 rolls of film now), but my personal experience has been that there will always be some drying/runoff marks - no difference if I used wetting agent or rubber drier blade.

I noticed that the matte emulsion side usually is fine. The marks are visible on the shiny backing. So i just breath on the film strips a bit and clean the marks with microfibre cloth. If needed.

Are the marks whitish? Are you sure that all your darkroom water is not calcium hard? Have you tested your water hardness? I can see if you have very hard water in the darkroom calcium residue may be difficult to avoid. It could be pervasive. I only used filtered and soften house tap water in all the water needs in my darkroom for mixing chemicals and washing and used Kodak Photo-Flo 200 according to instructions and never had any spotty drying problems.

I use a photo club darkroom and the water lines have filters, but I don''t know do they do anything about the calcium. It's possible that the water is quite hard. The marks are not super whitish, just so that when you look at the film mirroring to some light, you see them. They are usually not visible because I use diffuser enlarger but if I used condenser type I thing they would be noticeable.

You may want to ask them how often they change the filter(s). When I worked with a lab, filters were changed weekly, filters were fairly dirty, not worrisome, in my home darkroom (last one I had) I changed filters every couple of months, and they were still fairly clean. Our town water department said they ran filters out of the wells if they didn't we'd have sludge in the water. The lab was the next town over from where my home was. All depends what is in the town water.

Tomm111's gear list:Tomm111's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D300 Leica CL Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow