Are Poor seeing conditions why this is happening? Is there anything I can do?

Started May 15, 2020 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Metastro
Metastro Forum Member • Posts: 56
Are Poor seeing conditions why this is happening? Is there anything I can do?

Hi

I took yesterdays clear sky opportunity to get some practice in. Clear Skies app showed 0 for everything, so it really was clear. I'm just outside London, UK.

I'm at the point of needing to focus with my Bahtinov Mask

In AstroPhotography tool I have run into something deeply concerning - wobbly stars. I'm using an Orion Maksutov 127 with a with a ZWOASI294MC. (I wont be imaging with the Maksutov but I'm practicing with it because it's smaller and lighter). Tubes Focal length is 1540mm and 127mm diameter.

Upon cooling my camera and turning on the Bahtinov Mask Aid, It shows Polaris and spikes as you might expect, but it jumps around...a lot. The mask aid jumps between Focus CLOSE and Focus FAR frequently and I can see the spikes rotating slightly with each new frame. As a seperate problem, the view from the live feed jumps between being quite dark and bright.

I have added two short videos to show the issues. The first video shows the flickering of brightness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9HTOcALESk

the second shows the spikes moving which I think is due to seeing conditions. At this point the brightness wasn't fluctuating as ecstatically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoRKsRp8G-4&feature=youtu.be

Based on what I've found, seeing conditions are both due to environmental variables (but also apparently my optics mirror? which might require more investigation on my part, but initial adivce here would help me a lot)

I will be trying again tonight. But I'm wondering if this is just something I will not be able to bypass - it seems entirely out of my control. It's a huge shame if I never get to reach the point of achieiving my first stacked image if the seeing conditions in my area are constantly this poor. I'll soon find out with further tests.

Thank you for reading.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow