Sony A7 mk iii vs Fuji XT-3...which system to invest in for student/entry professional

Started May 14, 2020 | Discussions thread
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 8,451
Re: Sony A7 mk iii vs Fuji XT-3...which system to invest in for student/entry professional

gonzophoto wrote:

EVF issues with mirrorless cameras while shooting in studio settings.

What EVF issues?

I only use the D750 in the studio, and carry my Lumix when out shooting on the street.

The thing is, it's a lot of gear (and frankly money) to have two separate systems. I want to bridge the gap and am considering purchasing either a used Sony A7 iii or Fujifilm XT-3.

There are now some fairly compact lenses for Sony. So as long as you don't go into super tele territory and you accept the quality penalty of most smaller lenses, then you should be fine. And you leave the door open for some more over the top lenses for the future.

For reference, here's for example a comparison with UWA zooms: https://camerasize.com/compact/#770.31,800.584,777.845,567.326,ga,t

a) Affordability over the long term...which system has more options at better prices? Seems to me that Fuji bodies are lower cost than Sony, while lenses are slightly more.

Sony has plenty of third party support, Fuji has almost none. Pricing is tricky as you really should be looking at prices of the stuff that you are interested in.

b) Lens quality for the price...I understand Fuji lenses are clear winners on quality

Depends on the lens. Their 18-135 is crap and the new 16-80 is very mediocre but priced as if it were stellar. AF on earlier Fuji lenses is very slow as well.

It's a bit similar with Sony lenses. Especially their earlier offerings were underwhelming (like the 24-70/4).

But as mentioned above, plenty of other companies make lenses for FE mount now. And with Sigma entering the field with lenses designed specifically for mirrorless, there is little doubt that when it comes to high quality lenses, Sony wins, if only because of sheer number of quality options available.

, but with more affordable third party options available for Sony, does this take the edge? I've also read Sony glass has issues with dust infiltrating. I would ideally invest in a good pro mid range zoom, and two or three fast primes.

Well, then pick which ones, for both Sony and Fuji and see how much that would cost and how big that would be.

c) Upgradeability/body change...i.e., which system would be better to upgrade to a next gen (xt-4, a9 etc) body while taking the glass I've invested in along the way with me? And, which system would be better to buy a second body as a backup to use with the same lenses?

Both. It's the same for all systems.

d) Use in the studio...I believe (could be wrong) Sony is more widely used in professional settings. Why is this? If Fuji glass is so much better, why do more studio photographers work with Sony?

Does Fuji have a radio controlled flash system (like other systems do) for example? What about Sony? How well does tethered shooting work? Is it wired or can it be wireless (again, like with some other systems). And so on. I don't know about those things, but you might want to look into those topics.

Which system has the better solution for dealing with EVF preview being too dark to use in a studio setting?

Frankly, that sounds like a weird problem. It would have to be veeery dark for EVF not being able to keep up. What's the setup that causes this issue? Did you by any chance had constant preview enabled and shooting at super tiny apertures like f/16?

e) High speed sports photography...not a predominant factor, but I'm interested in shooting some combat sports (muay thai, mma) and seeing where that takes me.

Fast medium telephoto glass, is where this will take you

f) I'd be remiss to not include video in this shootout, so let's hear it. Not particularly a concern for me, but nice to have the better option.

For handheld shooting, a good IBIS is a must. Once you've experienced the magic of OIS+IBIS+digital IS, it's hard to live with anything less.

As for the rest, pretty much all current gen cameras have at least very good video capabilities. So unless you are looking to do professional work (as in, for broadcast or actual filmmaking), I would not worry too much about it. Hell, even companies that were always ages behind competition in terms of video offer solid video capabilities with surprisingly reliable video AF nowadays.

g) OK, OK, considering the above factors, is there a reason full frame or APS-C would be better for my needs?

No. I believe both can do the job.

Pick a few specific kits for both. You know, your perfect kit, that would do exactly what you want. And see what you get. Should be eye opening.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow