comparison of several portraits

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
techjedi
techjedi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,898
Re: comparison of several portraits

TRIODEROB wrote:

so I was looking thru some of my images and was comparing the differences going from FF to APSC to 4/3 ... trying to pick up on the advantages of the larger sensor sizes

could anyone else post a series of images going from large to small sensors

one thing about the 4 bottom images is in each case only the very best prime lens were used so it makes for a more interesting comparison

middle 2 were my lens .... the FF on top and bottom were store reps and I brought my own sd card to the place had them put the $$$$ primes on and took a few test images

Advantages of larger sensor size:

- Given the same scene and focal length, you can be closer to your subject for the same composition. (e.g. you can shoot in smaller rooms with the same lenses)

- Given the same scene, aperture settings, focal length, and adjusted distance to have the same composition you will have slightly shallower depth of field.

- Given the same scene, aperture settings, focal length, and adjusted distance to have the same composition you will have slightly more background separation blur, particularly when the background is closer to your point of focus.

- Given the same scene and exposure settings, you will have slightly less noise.

At the end of the day, its difficult to compare different photos because so many factors figure into the outcome. FF gives you some flexibility in low light and in small rooms where you must be be closer to your subject and still separate the background. Medium format furthers those advantages. When you have the flexibility to adjust your subject's distance to the lens, your subject's distance to the background and the amount of fill lighting then the sensor size is just going to be a preference, not a clear advantage.

In my experience, larger sensors tend to favor the flexibility you want for portraits, but it is not a requirement when you can control the dynamics of the scene.

I think the only real deciding factor is the availability of high quality lenses designed for your sensor size.

Here are two wildly different portraits I took with the same aperture, one on an APS-C sensor indoors with fill light and one FF outdoors with ambient light. I am happy with both and would readily use either sensor size interchangeably.

APS-C:

FF:

techjedi's gear list:techjedi's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony RX100 Sony a6500 +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow