Returning Sony 24mm 1.4

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bman70 Junior Member • Posts: 46
Returning Sony 24mm 1.4

This lens came close to turning me off of Sony for good. It never once worked well on my a7 body... yes I know it's an older camera but it's a supported E-mount, and works flawlessly with my 100-400GM. The 24mm is like a toy compared to that lens. 
First, the pulsing focus... it cannot acquire focus in AF-C mode. I can hold the shutter halfway down forever and the image in the viewfinder just bounces in and out until I let go. This is in good light, mostly at apertures above f7. 
Also it just doesn't seem that extraordinarily sharp. Here are two images I managed to take where focus was acquired (using AF-S mode). They're OK but I've had $50 lenses that seemed sharper. My 100-400GM seems sharper and it's a zoom (it also works in AF-C on the a7).
Never returned a $1500 (after tax) purchase to Amazon, but just don't see any alternatives. Sony said it sounded highly abnormal and to send it in for service, but I don't like it enough to do that. If you Google Sony 24mm focus pulsing, there are quite a few reports of this, so it seems like a feature that may be addressed sometime in firmware.

Mainly posting to see if anyone else thought the lens was a total hype bubble.

Bman70's gear list:Bman70's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a6300 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +4 more
Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow