IBIS test on Sony A6500 and Tamron 70-180/2.8

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
voronspb
OP voronspb Senior Member • Posts: 1,885
First hand impressions from 70-180

I've got some mixed impressions: the lens itself is obviously very sharp, lightweight, focusing quickly, et al. But its AF is a bit more noisy than I expected!

The lens constantly generates a faint whirling sound on both of my bodies (like image stabilizer on some older lenses). Also fast focus racks make some faint scratchy sound and vibration.

In video the AF noises are next to unnoticeable (even while using the internal mic in complete silence), except for two cases:

1. The camera has lost any idea, where to focus (like you've pointed it closer than MFD, or on object without any texture). In this case it may violently rack focus with noticeable sound.
  2. You're aggressively using the "Fast" focus speed in video, while shooting in complete silence.

Overall it's not bad (in all cases much quieter than zoom operation), and with external mic there's zero possibility to hear the AF sound.

Also while doing these 120 shots in a row, the camera has got a small glitch 3 times. It's like the lens suddenly loses communication with camera (screen blinks, and momentarily I see focus peaking colors), and then re-establishes it.

I'll be looking forward for the updated FW: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4488462

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov
«Often the difference between a good and a bad sample of the same lens is bigger than that between two different lenses» — Bastian K.

voronspb's gear list:voronspb's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow