Best Travel Zoom ever

Started 4 months ago | User reviews thread
JohnnyLuddite Senior Member • Posts: 1,191
Re: Best Travel Zoom ever

To the extent to which everything's a compromise, this lens is a very good one for many purposes. I once saw it described as a utility vehicle, and I think that's a reasonable analogy. It's not the Bentley of a 105/1.4, but it's very capable and very useful for its range and price.

My tolerance for weight and intimidation factor while travelling is very limited, but I would pack it if taking Fx.

My view is that it's my One Lens, and basically other lenses have to do something extra around it.

Personally, my biggest gripe with it (I think I have a reasonable copy) is that at 120mm or so, e.g. for portraits, where you're looking for decent transitions in the background, it can get busy - particularly with things like backlit leaves, which makes the quality of the bokeh less attractive for me.

I've reviewed my use across the range of focal lengths and found that it's fairly evenly spread and I do find both the 24 and 120 end valuable, so to that extent the range is useful to me. I'd not want it longer, that's a different lens I feel.

JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow