Negative drying after Developing help please

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Autonerd Contributing Member • Posts: 624
Re: Negative drying after Developing help please

Grh81 wrote:

clearing the soap bubbles with clean water.

I think this is your problem. That and the squeegeeing.

Don't rinse off the rinsing agent. Don't do anything else to the film. The rinsing agent's job, as I understand it, is to break the surface tension of the water so it can run off your film. Let it do its job!

Here's how I do it: After I'm done rinsing, with the top off the tank and the reel still inside (I use steel tank and reels) I put half about 1/4-1/3 of a capful of Kodak Photo-Flo in the tank and fill it  to the top with water (not worried about the bubbles). I let it sit for a minute or so, then dump the reel out into my hand. I clothespin the end of the film onto my drying line, let it unroll (I just drop the reel and let it fall into the bottom of the shower, where it lands with a satisfying clang), then clip a couple of clothespins to the bottom of the film and leave it to dry for at least 90 minutes, usually two hours. (As you can tell, I use the shower stall as a drying closet.)

That's it. No touching, no nothing. Just leave it be.

There may still be some soapy bubbles on the film when I hang it up, but that's okay. They always go away.

From what I understand, the emulsion is in a pretty fragile state when it's still wet. The squeegee is probably scratching the still-soft emulsion.

Out of about 40 rolls, I've had streaks on two and I think I didn't use quite enough Photo-Flo. I was able to clean that up with a little water and a soft towel, but as it happens the streaks didn't show up when scanning.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Aaron

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow