Lens Use Guide for Macro Photography

Started May 10, 2020 | Discussions thread
mount evans
mount evans Regular Member • Posts: 456
Re: problem with auto tubes/close-up lenses and OIS/IBIS

Allan Brown wrote:

I have talked about this before in other threads.

One big problem when using a lens with tubes or close-up lenses is the OIS/IBIS settings.

The OIS/IBIS does not know the resulting focal length of the lens combination and you cannot tell the camera. The OIS/IBIS will be set to what the lens says its focal length is.

If using handheld and not on a tripod, this results in a very shaky image that makes focusing or composition difficult.

I have this problem with my 45-200 with either my Olympus Mcon35 or my Auto tubes. The camera sees the range 45-200mm and sets the IBIS accordingly. I cannot over-ride this.

You can turn the OIS/IBIS off, but you will still have the shaky image.

A solution, that I have not tried yet, is to use tubes that have no electrical contacts with a body that has IBIS and turn off OIS if the lens has it. This will then allow you to tell the body the focal length of the combination.

You may not know exactly what it is but you can easily enter numbers till the IBIS works properly.

So, for those about to buy a set of tubes, consider a non-electrical set. Or, buy a manual lens.

1) Do tubes actually change the focal length of the lens?  I thought that they increased the distance between the lens and the sensor, allowing you to image objects that were being focused behind the sensor plane because they were too close to the lens, but the focal length of the lens was the same.  Granted, if the "brain" of the OIS or IBIS thinks it is dealing with a specific lens design and you have changed that, there will be trouble.

1.5) "If you're doing something weird that the camera doesn't know about, turn off IS" is a good general rule of thumb.

2) Could you recommend some good quality extension tubes for micro four thirds?  I have some plastic ones that work (and provide feedthroughs for the electronics) but the build quality looks cheesy.

3) When doing macro work with the Zuiko 50mm, I wanted to put an extension tube between it and the EC-20 teleconverter.  Has anyone tried this?  I mean, in theory the teleconverter works with an image that was headed for the camera, right?  50mm lens + extension tube = camera ready macro image; putting the extension tube between the teleconverter and the camera just didn't make sense.  However, my E-M5 wouldn't cooperate, and disabled the focus-by-wire.  I don't know if it objected to specifically having the tube between the lens and the teleconverter or if it just couldn't cope with talking to the lens through an MMF adapter, a teleconverter, and an extension tube.  I considered having some whiz with microelectronics try to lobotomize the EX-25 so that it would just be a set of wires like the cheaper electronic extension tubes and wouldn't tell the camera that a tube was present, but I no longer have the money for that sort of thing.

mount evans's gear list:mount evans's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow