New 7D Mark II User Could use a few pointers... What settings/functions hinder performance?

Started May 5, 2020 | Discussions thread
Mike-G Junior Member • Posts: 48
Re: New 7D Mark II User Could use a few pointers... What settings/functions hinder performance?

Thank you for the encouraging words, DA. Watching and trying to photograph birds over/on the water is is the most enjoyable part of this hobby for me (although woodpeckers and corvids are a lot of fun as well).

Swallows and Martins stay here all summer long. Unfortunately the Terns only migrate through my area. Although the Black Tern was far away, every shot during the sequence during the hover/dive/catch was in-focus. Hopefully I'll be able to get some closer shots of them. Your Tern shot is stunning and a good reminder that backlighting can work to a photographer's advantage.

On Saturday the closer birds were in a darker area while the ones a bit farther away (only a difference of 20-30 feet) were in much better light.  When the lighting varies a lot, do you err on the side of underexposing the dark areas or overexposing the light areas? I hope that question makes sense. I know that "just get the exposure right every time" is the most correct answer, but sometimes I don't have the time to adjust or just plain forget.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow